Monday, April 05, 2010

Two Tribes

I'm really sorry I haven't posted in a week, my laptop went on the blink and Is still on the blink as I type. Thankfully I have my trustee iPod touch at hand to get me through this difficult time. I bought the blogger app (free!!!) so I should be good until my stupid computer starts behaving again! Forgive me for the lack of pictures I have not yet firgured out this wonderful app!

Now, for the important stuff. On Friday night Leinster beat Munster in a magners league clash at Thomand park. Naturally I was devastated being a HUGE Munster supporter. It's the ultimate insult to be beaten by Leinster AND to be beaten at home in our fortress really really stung. As this is the third consecutive time Munster have been beaten by Leinster, it made me wonder why, and I think I may have worked it out.

First let me start off with a little backround info on both teams

Munster: this team traditionally are known for their fans. Ask any supporter of any other team in the heineken cup and they will tell you about the fans. We're known for travelling in our thousands to every corner of Europe to support our beloved team. Winning or losing we're always there shouting and cheering to our hearts content. The fans in one word; Passion. Extreme passion.

In Ireland, we we're known as the humbler of the two teams. Never talked ourselves up and are absolutely notorious for winning when we were written off by other people, the more people said we wouldn't win, the better we performed. The underdogs that always won. We also had a rep that appealed more to the common man or women. There was never an aura of stardom about munster. We came to play rugby and that was it.

And then we have.......

Leinster: the more cosmopolitan and sophisticated of the two sides. Although rugby is massive in these parts, the fanbase was nothing compared to Munsters. This team has always been posher and as a result they were the team everybody loved to hate (unless of course you were actually from Leinster.) Leinster were always second best to Munster, last Friday night was the first time in 15 years they beat us at home.

However, times have changed. Leinster fanbase is growing rapidly and as result they' re winning and beating Munster!!! Leinsters success is not all down to its expanding fanbase tho, it's down to Munsters passion drying up. We're not nearly as passionate ad we were 5 or 6 years ago, but the fans aren't the only problem. In recent years we've become more well..... Leinster like. As much as it pains me to say it. The roles are swapping and suddenly we've become the bridesmaids in Irish rugby. We need to go back to basics before we lose all our pride to Leinster.

No comments: