Friday, December 12, 2008

Songs of 2008: Slow on the up Take

I just did the best tracks of 2008, now I'm doing 'songs of 2008', which are songs that I've fallen in love with, in 2008 but were released prior to this year.



Call The Shots - Girls Aloud

10)Call the Shots by Girls Aloud
This song is an amazing dance pop song! And my all time favourite GA song. Its a genuinely good song, well sung, well produced, overall a quality song! Plus I kind of have to love the theme about someone whom you just don't care about trying to win you back: sorry you miss me, and think you have this hold on me but you don't!



9)Bones by Editors
Tom Smith's voice is unlike any other and the guitars are reminiscent of the new wave of the 80s. This song is an emotional and auditory trip plus the heart wrenching lyrics don't hurt either: your face in my hands is everything that I need. Almost as beautiful as true love way's: and I'm still crazy when I see your face, ALMOST!



Atmosphere - Joy Division

8)Atmosphere by Joy Divison
Hauntingly beautiful and tragic, which pretty much sums up Joy Division's sound. But this song is disturbing, in that, you can't get it out of your mind, it just won't leave you but you don't want it to because its so beautiful. (borrowing from True Blood here) Like a sunset after a bomb went off, terribly beautiful


Song 4 Mutya (Out Of Control) - Groove Armada


7)Song 4 Mutya by Groove Armada
Another bitchy song, what's with me? Not only is this song givin' it to an ex it actually quite fun! Mutya has such a strong voice, I love it, too bad she couldn't make it with Sugababes.





6)The Test by The Chemical Brothers

This song makes me want to do acid. Richard Ashcroft, is of course, untouchable but this song is just epic, its like taking you everywhere you've ever want to be without ever having to take one step...in short like an acid trip. What are the chemical brothers aiming at here? hmmmmm



49% - Royksopp

5)49 Percent by Royksopp
I really need to stop with these bitchy bitter songs...but I can't they're just so good! I love the imagery of this song: We were having difficult times and you were conniving, you cheated on me, and its over, BITCH! This song is a combination of electro, trance, soul, and r&b, and it works, it works very well!



4)Saw Something by Dave Gahan

Sensual. Sad. UGH this song is so beautiful, and so sad. Like he's more upset over losing a friend than losing a lover. Like their friendship meant more to him than the sex. That love > fucking. How can you not love this song, and why aren't there more men like this?



A Bad Dream - Keane

3)Bad Dream by Keane
I largely ignored this album because I OD'd on Keane with 'Hopes and Fears' I saw them 3 times over the course of a year and met them once. It was bit over kill and I needed a break from Keane...which I now regret because this song is AMAZING! and as cheesy as it sound, it really resonated with the way I've been feeling for the past year: You left me to fight on my own. I don't want to fight anymore. I don't want you anymore. Maybe in time we can be friends.



2)The Lake by Muscles
His vocals are so bizzare and the song is so trance but somehow it works. And the climax is EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stop listening to this song! Its so fucking good!



1)Kingdom by Dave Gahan
I have no words to describe this song. Its fucking untouchable! I can't, I just can't...

No comments: