Friday, January 02, 2009

Whoa...Wait...What?


Picture this:

You're a badass, no BS, extremely talented rock band from the American South and in not so many words have called out other musicians for feeding us shitty music. You're beloved by rock gods, cool celebrities, and hip models. The image that you've created has been bare bones, honest, and badass. You're the coolest fuckers out there and you know it, maybe to your fault.

So I ask thee this, if you were said talented rock band would you cut your family vacation short so you could be paid 300 000 pounds to play at a party thrown by the owner of Chelsea Football Club a famous art dealer? And would you consider that selling out?

To be fair, Kings of Leon, never said they were Nirvana. They didn't say they'd never sell out, so from that I must conclude that: Kings of Leon aren't sell outs!

BUT

Even though, I can't condemn them for wanting to get some extra cash for their mom (who else would they give it to? Get it Betty Ann!), it still doesn't feel Kosher, just like Only by the Night doesn't feel Kosher. This doesn't feel like the KOL that I know and love, they wouldn't play some Russian billionaire's party, not for all the coke money in the world BUT I can't really hate on them for doing such because they can do as they damn well please, right?


PS Ooooooo I wonder if Cheryl Cole was there? Now that would be too much hot in one room!






Dear Caleb,

All we do is fight.
I just don't know you anymore.
Is it really over?

Nicole

2 comments:

nick said...

This story originated fom a tabloid called The Sun who make stuff up all the time however, there is some truth in it.

Yes, they were hired to perform at a New Year's party by a multi-billionaire but not by Roman Ambamovich, it was American art dealer Larry Gagosian. Ambramovich was there but just a guest. In addition, the party wasn't in New York, it was in St. Barts. There are pics of Caleb on stage to prove it too!
http://www.mrpaparazzi.com/post/5262/A-StarStudded-Celeb-Packed-Party.aspx#comments
The Sun probably went with Abramovich because Gagosian isn't a household name over here, no idea why they said the party was in NY though.

I'm with you on OBTN, it's absolutely HUGE over here in the UK and whilst everyone I know agrees that this is by far their weakest album yet, no matter where you look the coverage is almost always praiseworthy. I want nothing more than to see KOL succeed in their home country because it's the one thing they've always wanted but they're doing it by watering down their music and alienating a lot the fans who have been there from the start. What bothers me is that I don't think KOL actually care now, which is a shame.

Nicole said...

Oh, my bad.

I guess doing a party for an art dealer is an easier pill to swallow. Thanks for letting me know, though!

I seriously thought that I was the only person who felt that OBTN was...off. Everyone's talking about what a good album it is but it isn't, not by their standards. Its so generic, it doesn't feel genuine. Its getting all this airplay and they've gained some success here in North America (nominated for Grammy's and all) but you're right they have watered down their music and its a shame because they had such a unique sound.

I'd love for them to be #1 here and hear them a million times a day on the radio, and just be bombarded by everything Kings of Leon because they deserve it but not like this, not with this...'new sound'

I think you might be right about them not caring anymore, I get an inkling that they're just fucking with us.

Maybe I'm just being too sensitive. I mean really, they can do as they please. Oh I don't know...